Monday, January 26, 2009

and do it with one hand tied behind your back

For some "flippin'" reason, blogger doesn't like my recent attempt at humor and house fixing.
Sorry, the title was my choice.

On the subject of my old house....It still doesn't have a roof....or a bid on the roof. Unfortunately, it is also in the path of the winter ice storm currently raining ice on my present home.
It did have a nice haircut on the big old oak trees. They are only about 100 years old....and we didn't have to remove them. Yaay! When I last saw them, they were waving proudly over the south lawn...and not over the top of my house. The weather has been crumby for climbing on roofs here in the south. I can only imagine what it is like farther north.
By the way, our oldest son just made an offer on a house today. I hope he gets it. He has already lost out on one house he wanted. I know it is very hard for first time buyers to lose out on a house they fall in love with.
Let me tell you about the first house I fell in love with....It was a doll house, maybe 900 sq ft....but in the best part of town. A winding street with older houses, and a long lot with flowers.
Did I say it was totally impractical? We had two small boys, there were two tiny bedrooms upstairs....a windy stairs with windows stuck in randomly. This house even had windows inside the closet. I can't remember the bathroom....I think it had one. There were arts and crafts type colored tiles on the fireplace, and a big hole in the kitchen floor. You could see down to the dirt basement. The back yard was anchored by a huge fishpond of concrete. Great place for little boys to play! There were no storm windows or screens, because the windows actually folded up when they were pushed open....great for little boys to play in. My dear father looked at the kitchen-hole and put his foot down. I loved that house....we got a sturdy bungalow with a fenced in back yard instead. So much for falling in love with houses.
When we bought our second city house, we looked at houses for a year. I can't remember how many we looked inside....but we ran our realtor ragged. We had three children by that time, and required schools. We made two offers on houses we thought we wanted....but backed out when they made counters. I can't remember if they countered on the home we finally bought....but it was a bad scene.....The husband had transfered. The wife and her mother didn't want to sell....we couldn't go back to look at the house before closing. Closing was postponed several times....The house was a good fit for us tho, we lived there for 25 years.
We actually didn't think we would ever need to buy another house....but as the children grew, and the city grew, I felt a pull towards the country. My husband and my banker were both very good to me, and let me move.
Have you noticed that the house you live in has a totally different "feel" because it is your home?
If you are going to flip a house...you need to keep those personal feelings out of your "flip-house". You are not improving that house for you....you are improving it for the next buyer.
Have you lived in a house that doesn't "fit" you? Maybe that's your present house....maybe one from your past. No matter what color you use on the walls....or what furniture grouping you make in the living room....it just isn't "you". That's OK, houses can be changed.....lives change.
After living in the same city house for 25 years....this is the first time I have hired a tree trimmer. How neat. First, I could pay to have a real tree trimmer....and second, I don't have to worry about the trees falling....
Well, maybe. There is this ice storm, It is now sleeting on my metal ozark roof. I will lay awake and wonder if it is sleeting on my arkansas roof. Hope not....it won't take much to take down the porches. W0nder how long it will take to get the roofer out and up on the roof there? hope everything is OK there.
peeps